Friday, September 10, 2010

My first bad encounter...

I knew that it had to happen eventually. This place is just too good to be true to not have any negative aspects about it. It is definitely not the people, not the food, not the night life. It is public transportation. I should have figured its would have been transportation. In America, those people are always so rude and whatever stick is up their butt is turned sideways.

We had to venture Broadbeach to retrieve Kiley's wallet that she left at East and planned on getting the 2:17 bus into Broadbeach. So we walk up to the bus stop a little early and see a bus drive up. We assume we are late and run following some local who tell us we can get to Broadbeach on this bus. We so get on holding my id card and a 20 note (dollar bill Mom...) and inform the driver we want to go to Broadbeach. His response was, "This entire line is Broadbeach... which part?" Clearly looking like foreigners and idiots not knowing what part, we look to the locals who told us to get on the bus. Now angry the bus driver starts raising his voice saying he is already ten minutes late and we need to get going. We quickly say Pacific Fair and hand him the 20 note. He is now livid and starts screaming at us saying we need to study our monies and have the right change and stop ready BEFORE entering the bus. But hands Libby her change and it is my turn. I say same and hand him the 20 note. He sighs so loudly that he tells (well yells) at Kiley, Allie, and I to just get on the bus and forget paying. I think i would consider that a bad encounter at home where everyone persons has an attitude and is not afraid to tell you as well.

Luckily, we make it to Broadbeach where it reminds me of Miami or South Florida somewhere. There are adorable bistros, bars, and shops all over surrounded by skyscrapers and condominiums. The best part about Broadbeach is the architecture! Every building is unique and has something that makes it stick out above the others. Some are funky angles, others awesome painting, one has blue and green glass tiles all over it like a mosaic. This is definitely where my parents will be staying when they visit.

We thought it would be a lot harder to find East, especially in the daytime and the fact we only had a street address and a tourist map of shops to guide us. But after talking to some locals we found our way relatively easy. We stroll up to East in a back alley what can only look like we are there as a favor to the mafia or a drug deal/bust situation. After ringing the doorbell a bunch of times we locate the office building and get Kiley's wallet with everything in it! No stolen cash, no missing credit cards, and her id was there. Just shows you how nice everyone is here because that would have been so long gone in the United States like New York or Chicago.

From East we head back to Pacific Fair to do a little shopping and pick up grocercies. DID YOU KNOW?! Australians do not refridgerate their eggs. I REPEAT. do NOT refidgerate their eggs. That is one of the grossest things I have every heard. Eggs are menat to be cold and not room temperature. I am appalled enough to not eat eggs... but then again I already do not eat them... I had to pick up my essentials in order to survive (i.e carrots and hummus, pretzels and salsa, and the most important, peanut butter.) I also found the cutest Fruit Market where I bought native organic Australian fruit! i bought a PAW PAW (an australian papaya) which was so delicious I ate a half of one in one sitting. I also bought also essential fruits like strawberries, naners, and apples. The most shocking part was that a kilo of grapes with $18.50 and a kilo of cherries is $24.99. That is so far past my comprehension I had to buy what was in my hand and leave the store. So much for eating cherries everyday and in one sitting like I do at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment