Saturday, October 2, 2010

Trying to have a quiet weekend.

Continuously running around as usual for us here in Queensland, we are always running to do the next thing, or meeting, or training. We had our "pre-departure for Perth" meeting before sprinting off to the bus to catch the rugby game. We FINALLY received our track suits and Bond Gear! It consisted of: a zip-up grey hoodie (my favorite), the most comfy grey sweat pants, a Bond tee, a water bottle, a hat, and a bag! Just enough stuff to rub it in everyone's face, without looking like Bond threw up on me (okay, I'll still look like that but oh well!) I am so excited so Perth and can't wait to leave now!

I am still unaware of how Libby and I found our way to the rugby game. I guess following the crowd isn't too bad of a thing at this moment. Where ever we saw Gold Coast Titans fans, we followed. Our nose-bleed seats were still pretty good and we tried to follow along on a game that we knew none of the concepts. After a half trying to piece together the information, we finally broke down and asked the kids around our age sitting next to us. Then the violence of the game kicked in. They are so brutal and I know I would end up in different pieces if I played. So I will stick to watching. Something I can do very well. Rugby Men are so attractive!! Especially in their little shorts with overly huge muscles, I can get use to this sport...

The game was so much fun! But unfortunately, our ride back was not. So many people were crammed on one train we had to stand the entire hour and 30 minute train ride back. Not to mention that there was this kid that WOULD NOT stop talking. Really loud. obnoxiously, and about nothing. For starters he ruined all the Harry Potters. I HAD NOT SEEN/READ THE LAST ONE KID SO THANK YOU. and about his cousin's birthday party, and Lord of the Rings. It was quite possibly the most annoying kid I have ever met. And of course, he got off at the stop before us, so we were with him the entire time... Luckily he was far enough from me where I still had to hear everything he said, but didn't have to look at him unless rendered necessary.

Saturday, was no different of course. After getting ready for volleyball training no one showed up... Until a half an hour later when Shanon our trainer/coach showed up. He gave us our uniforms and told us to go watch the AFL (Australian Football League) (footy) finals. The finals are comparable to our Superbowl and a really big deal along with the NRL (National Rugby League) finals which are the following weekend. Considering we have never seen footy, he gave us a quick description and told us to stop playing and go catch the second half of the game. So we went to our common room to watch it. A nice boy from New Jersey understood the game a little more than we did and helped us watch it by explaining things along the way. We decided to root for the underdog and got really happy when they starting winning. But, by the time the buzzer went off, it was a draw. Tie Game. So instead of going into overtime, they play another match the following week. People who bought tickets had to by another set, another pre-show and halftime show, more money for the AFL and more weekends of footy. I couldn't believe that overtime doesn't exist! (well it does... but not until after the 2nd game). Apparently this has only happened like 3 times in the history of the AFL and a really big deal that we even got to witness it.

That night the girls and I decided on a quiet little dinner at a Hibachi place with Stephen and a movie for the night. The movie theater was the nicest thing I have ever seen. You have assigned seats and people get really mad if you sit in their seat. So the entire time before the movie Libby and I were panicking because we wanted to sit in the middle and not in the aisle... It was very nerve racking but luckily we didn't get caught. The food court in the movie theater was ridiculously nice too... There was ice cream stations (as in more than one) candy stations (as in more than one) food stations (like dinners) coffee stations, and so much more. Then, for a mere 30 dollars you can buy a Gold member seat. Which a different theater, with reclining chairs, foot rests, massage chairs, air conditioning and seater heaters, a waitress who will bring you a dinner, drinks, or anything else you may need so that you don't need to get during the movie. They pretty much do everything for you except pee for you... I am debating when this will be part of my budget... maybe for the next Harry Potter?!

After it was around 11:40 and we still hadn't packed for Perth which we were leaving for a 5 am the next morning. A quick call to the taxi and we should be on our way. 45 minutes and around 34238 calls to the taxi service... we were finally on our way home. And after about 30 minutes of procrastination... I finally start packing. By 2 am I finish packing and take a cat nap until 4:15 when I wake up to embark on the trip I would have never imagine called Uni-Games...

No comments:

Post a Comment