Sunday, October 10, 2010

PERTHection. The Uni games begin!

The time to wake up came all too quickly. I literally took a nap instead of having a night's sleep. I got dressed in my huge ghetto track suit, grabbed my crumpet and bags, and left Queensland for Western Australia. After an hour bus ride, an hour check in, a 5 and a half hour flight, an hour baggage arrival, and a half an hour bus ride, we arrived at the Comfort Inn in East Perth. I spent the majority of the flight sleeping or reading for class to the disapproval of my airplane partner Charlie. Otherwise I was in a drowsy daze the most of the day traveling.

On the bus on the way to the hotel, I had my first experience with Killer. Michael Kilmartin is a 27 year lawyer, that does not actually take classes at Bond, yet is on the Rugby 7's team. Our chat on the bus ride including his life story, my dietary habits, and his convincing works to get me to eat meat by the end of the trip. News flash Killer, you will not convince me. I thought I was just being tired and awkward for the fact I was having a hard time understanding him, and following the logic behind his conversation. But, I realized quickly that it was Killer and not me. Killer ended up being the highlight of the trip. If we were bored and needed to be entertain quickly, Killer was our guy. Granted, I think he is a little slow (Even he admits he doesn't have all of his light bulbs screwed in correctly) and most of the time you want him to be quiet. But he tries to fit in and be funny. And it is the thought that counts.

Our hotel room can only be described at a sardine house for 3. It was three small beds next to one another with a meter in between, 3 chairs, one table, a closet, and a bathroom. Needless to say it did not stay clean for very long ever. We made a quick trip to the bottle-o and supermarket for the week and had to get ready for the opening ceremony. Libby's bag got lost on the way and I was happy at least one of us had a bag to share clothes and toiletries until her bag finally arrived. The theme for that night's club hopping was "Team Colors" so we quite literally wore our track suits out to the clubs with leggings and shoes. We went to the opening ceremony where some team bonding and cheers where occurring all over the place. After the mascot dance and us getting antsy, the best thing happened. Killer was being an odd ball as usual when all of a sudden he flipped the adorable Asian photographer over his shoulder. He threw the photographer to the ground, placed a foot on his chest, pulled his legs back and looked like he was going to break his neck. It took two teams and all of us to pull him off of the photographer. But is was by far the funniest thing. When we asked him about it the next morning he replied, "I thought he was a roo that I just shot. I threw him over my shoulder, pulled his legs from his face, and was about to crack his neck so I can grill him for dinner." Way to go Killer, you yet again made a fool of yourself.


Libby almost didn't get in because her shoes didn't have backs but after some convincing the bouncers let her in! The club was called the Library and it literally looked like an old library. It was sweet. After lots and lots of team bonding drinks and dancing we headed home for night in preparation to start domination the beach volleyball court in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment